Thursday, April 28, 2005

mc gough road barn

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Unused for many years, the McGough Road barn has fallen into disrepair. Season by season the barn red paint has worn away, and the unprotected wood has taken on the patina that comes with age and exposure to the elements. It was quiet, a quiet that allows your mind to wander, undistracted by traffic noise. As I walk at the side of the road it occurs to me that all the life and color of the barn have drained out into the nearby countryside, whose vivid greens of spring make the barn appear in an even sadder state. As I look at the image on the screen it seems an insult....and I hit "greyscale".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your barn, I am sure you like my barn, look under Abylon in Thursday Challenge.

It stands in Staphorst Holland where the folks still wear folkloristic clothes

Anonymous said...

Nice picture...really has a farm look...I love the detail..

Anonymous said...

Zanee: This photo could be a great postcard. Excellent job.

Anonymous said...

Good shot, I love B&W

btezra said...

~the greyscale, with a hint of tone to it, works extremely well IMHO~

Ezequiel Mesquita said...

I like the picture, and the poetry behind the idea "that all the life and color of the barn have drained out into the nearby countryside"...
I would like to see the color version though, maybe you can link to it.