Wednesday, September 14, 2005

fleeting beauty



There are artists who work in impermanent media, such as native artists who create intricate sand paintings, which exist only for a short time and then are left to wind and weather. You wonder how someone could invest so much work and concentration and then leave the art to certain destruction.

Mother Nature creates her own fleeting beauty. This moonflower vine blooms in my secret garden. An early morning bloom will be shriveled by the next morning. It puts on a beautiful and short lived show.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Like poppies. But poppies leave such a beautiful "skeleton" behind that that's part of the beauty. Then I love to watch as it changes to provide the seeds a place from which to be released. I love poppies!

Buddhist sand mandalas are amazing works of temporary beauty. And sand and ice sculpture...

srp said...

I don't think I've ever seen one before...just beautiful.