Friday, February 03, 2006

rural life



It's still the dead of winter in northern Illinois. Six more weeks says the groundhog. We awoke this morning to a special kind of grey - rain, dark, grey, definitely depressive.

I simply could not abide another photo of the current atmospheric conditions here in the farmland. So, my decision was to reach into the archives and bring you an example of what we will call "Farmers Wife Travel". Even in the travel area, the apple doesn't fall too far from the rural tree. We mostly choose rural or rustic places to visit, or at the very least sparsely populated.

This is a very rustic, "rural" site. It's just outside our thatched roof casita on a beach on the north island of Ambergis Caye, Belize. No phones, no roads. Travel is by boat or bicycle. The locals travel during morning rush hour riding up from the south island, crossing the spit by hand pull ferry.

Paradise? Yes. I've watched many a Type A transformed in this setting.

6 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

God, that looks soooooo wonderful! I think I could really get into this place, you know? Hard to find beaches that look like this, isn't it. So very peaceful!

Tim Rice said...

That looks so peaceful. I once lived in Belize for three months in the village of August Pine Ridge not far from Orange Walk Town. I was with a short term mission team that was assisting a local Mennonite church there. Many good memories. Belize is a beautiful country both along the coast and in-land. I even got to go fishing in the ocean in a canoe.

Anonymous said...

I so want to be at that beach right now. Chicago winters suck--and this hasn't even been that bad!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a place I need to visit!

Hey -- did you see the Chicago Tribune today (Friday)? There's a big article about La Fox and Elburn on the front page of the Tempo section! All about the cool "small town" places that still exist there -- Amazing Grace Antiques, Ream's Elburn Market, Gliddon Drug, Papa G's...

Made me think of you. Let me know if you didn't get a chance to see it -- I can send it to you if you'd like.

In the meantime, I need to go and get ready to go watch the Palatine High School/Fremd High School cross-town rival basketball game... just the perfect thing for a chilly midwestern Friday night...

L.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so want to be there right now. *sigh*

R.Powers said...

Now you're talking!