Wednesday, March 08, 2006

prairie burn



This starts the season for prairie burns, either purposeful or accidental. Controlled burns are set and the perimeters controlled by volunteers with brooms. This was probably a brush fire that caught the adjacent prairie land ablaze. There were no volunteers patrolling the edges. The fire department showed up to watch patiently, making sure the flames didn't spread to the nearby Mongerson Farm complex.

I've just finished reading the classic story of immigrants on the prairie, "Giants in the Earth" which left me with a healthy respect for the challenges facing those pioneers. I can only imagine the terror that struck their hearts as prairie fires raged out of control, speeding across the prairie faster than a man could run.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know that Giants in the Earth was the first part of a trilogy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and words about a land that is my heart. I am an Illinois farm gal myself. I am bookmarking your blog. Once again thank you!

Suzanne said...

Oh Pablo....NO! You're killing me. I guess that was something you forget to mention when you suggested the book. What's the second installment? (Back to Amazon)

Angie...thanks for the kind words. For those who call this land home it will strike a chord and perhaps for others it will be at least an interesting trip to somewhere different.

Anonymous said...

Zanne-

I am wondering where in Illinois you are??? I grew up on a hog farm in Sycamore and currently live in a tiny town in the west-central part of the state. I noticed you mentioned Rt. 64 (which goes through Sycamore) and Oregon. Just curious. :o)

Suzanne said...

Angie - I live about 10 miles east of Sycamore in the thriving (he he) metropolis of Lily Lake. My husband claims there's 750 people here, but I say that number has to include pets and livestock!

There's a hog farm just outside of Sycamore on the way to my sister's place in Oregon.

Come back and visit often.

- Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Most of our family is still in Sycamore/DeKalb. We will be going back next weekend. We get back often and are usually shocked and sickened by the disappearance of another landmark and the appearance of another strip mall. I actually lived off of Plank Rd. I haven't been back since my folks moved off the farm, but I understand the barn that was my second home growing up is in sad shape. And really is there anything more sad than a farm building that is empty and unused? Glad to meet you, Suzanne!

Anonymous said...

For a number of years an unknown person has been setting fire to the natural area in Campton Hills Park before the St.Charles Township Park District has a chance to do a controlled burn. In this case, a brush truck was destroyed by the fire so if the person is ever caught there will be some serious charges.