Saturday, June 30, 2007

Homesick Potato Chips

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's sometimes hard to live far afield from the place you call home. When I lived in Texas I always felt like a fish out of water. The landscape, the food and the culture seemed alien to me. After time my deep appreciation for the United States of Texas grew and after moving back to Illinois I was suprised to find myself missing Texas.

The day that Garfields Farm's Barn Sale was featured here on the Farmers Wife, a reader from Florida had spotted a Jay's Potato Chip can among ALL THAT STUFF. Amazing what our eye and brain will make a connection with. It made her homesick and it's something we can all relate to. Just the sight of a potato chip can reminded her of home.

Jay's Chips have been made in Chicago since potatoes were invented. I'm too lazy right now to find a link but I'm sure they have information on their history.

So there's the can, soon to be on it's way to a new home in Florida.

This is just a taste of the barn sale. We'll be rushing out the door in a short while. The neighbors are having a big pig roast today.

There are two things you need to know about midwesterners:
1. We're not afraid of hard work.
2. We love food.

.....more later!

6 comments:

Omelay said...

animal roll call if you'd like to contribute at the pile. we'd like to know your current tally.

srp said...

I lived in Gary for five years and don't remember this brand.. but there are a lot of things I don't remember from that pre-teen angst time.

Anonymous said...

Zanne,
Can you still by Jay's potato chips in the can? I have my two Utz potato chip cans from Pennsylvania. Yes, you can still buy them in the can there.

Suzanne said...

SRP - I don't think potato chip brands are high on the list of pre-teen concerns. Hey - don't forget to e-mail me with your address. Don't forget you won the jar of honey and I need to send it off to you!
Jerry - I've haven't seen the chips in cans for years. UTZ???? Oh my. You had to bring up Utz. My favorite is the Utz Crab Chip. Horrendously salty and tangy...yum. When I can't stand the deprivation anymore my friend sends me a box of crab chips from Maryland.

ellen jo said...

Whenever we go to Chicago my husband always leaves room in his suitcase for some Jay's chips to bring back to AZ. It may be the singlemost thing he misses the very most from Chicagoland!
Even more than his own family (Kiddddding)

faryal naaz said...

Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information.
lance gold n cheese