Thursday, July 12, 2007

field of dreams

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We haven't checked in on the corn in awhile. It's progressing nicely and surpassed the traditional benchmark of "knee high by the 4th of July". The recent heat was needed for the development and there has been a good amount of precipitation to keep things green.

My stepfather was quite a character, traveling the back roads of the U.S., always in search of the perfect piece of pie. His mother experienced every farm woman's nightmare when, at age 12, he fell into a threshing machine and lost his leg. His life was a series of physical challenges. As a chemical engineer he was severely burned in an industrial accident.

At the end of his life he loved nothing more that to sit in a chair on the porch of his home in Coal City, Illinois and watch the corn grow.

"Quite meditative," he would say.

I agree.

4 comments:

ellen jo said...

Great tragic yet somehow uplifting story about Step Dad. Love the corn image. It feels like home. Meditative indeed.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful picture (but all of yours are)! I, too, can see how it could be meditative.

And what is it about scouring the rural backroads looking for the perfect pie? This is not the first time I've heard of this phenomenon.

KatKit13 said...

I cannot believe how high the corn is right now, and how fast!

I'd love to hear traveling for pie stories too. Your step dad sounds like quite a guy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne (very French, mine is Claudette)
I have been reading your blog and viewing all of your fantastic photos. This one struck me.
One of my favorite movies is called "Field of Dreams". Secondly my dad lost both legs in WW11 and he was the happiest man in the world. I miss him so much.
It's late here in Ontario, Canada and I must get to bed but I am truly enjoying all of your photo's and conversation and want to say thank you.
CC
Claudie from Canada