Monday, July 02, 2007

making things happen

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Somebody once said to me, "If you want to get something done, ask a busy woman to do it."

Here are two busy ladies that make things happen. On the left is Donna Neiler, a board member for the Garfield Farm Museum. She got plenty of energy and I was amazed at her ability to keep the hoardes of shoppers behind the orange cones until the magic 9 o'clock hour. This is unheard of in the annals of garage/estate/barn sales. The early birds are very persistant, but Donna runs a tight ship! She's got alot of good ideas and the ability to put together a team to bring those ideas to life.

On the right is Denise Morgan, who was the person in charge of sorting, displaying and pricing. Her and her volunteers worked up to 12 hours per day and put together a very well organized sale. The original plan was to display all the merchandise in the machine shed, but with the flood of donations the sale spread to the cattle shed and horse barn also.

More than one person at the sale had wonderful things to say about Denise's efforts. She impressed alot of people.

Next we'll meet some of the volunteers, including a teamster who is not a truck driver.

5 comments:

BettyWestern said...

That's one of my favourite quotes, I recall my French teacher saying it. Pity I wasn't busy enough when French revision came around!

I also like one from Oscar Wilde: " A cynic knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Mmmm, one to ponder.

BettyWestern said...

Oh gosh Zanne, I just read down the posts and I thought you might mistake my second quote for a sarcastic remark. Not at all! In truth, your totting up the price just shows you appreciated the real value of all that great stuff.

Suzanne said...

Oh no, Betty - not at all! I love that quote also.

Lori said...

These are what I call truly beautiful women. God bless them!

srp said...

It really pains me to be so far away from such a fabulous garage sale! With this new move... I have so much that could be added. Some things I thought I could never part with... now that the girl is a senior in college and going off on her own this time next year... well, it is time to debulk! Please show more of the treasures!

And how did she manage to keep the shoppers at bay until 9AM? When we had our community wide garage sale in Mississippi, you had to put covers on the garage windows and not put your sign out until 5AM. Garage doors opened at 6AM to a surge of people! They literally ran into the garage! It was like a shark feeding frenzy!