Saturday, August 20, 2005

get mommy



What's left at the end of an afternoon of threshing? A giant haystack.

It didn't take long for the kids to discover the fantasyland of hay. I stood for quite awhile taking photographs and it became apparent that there was a game emerging. I promptly named it, "Get mommy!"

The kids were delighting in gathering up armfuls of hay, as much as their little arms could hold. They would then run over to where mom was standing, hopefully with her back turned, and pitch the entire load while screaming with glee.

The moms, being the good moms that they are, would act totally surprised.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Ah, the glory of hay. If I was there, I'd be rolling around in it, even if I am a mommy myself. (It works better when your kids are young though. Unfortunately my daughter's grown up now, but if she was with me at this pile, she'd join me!)

There's something about the earthy scent...reminds me of when I was a kid, didn't have a sleeping bag like the others, so used a blanket, and we slept in a hay-filled loft, but the smell and the fresh air wafting through the top of the barn where we were--I tried to stay awake and listen to the crickets and immerse myself in the moment, but dozed off. But that was one of the best night's sleep I ever had.

Over a decade later, when my husband sat on that same blanket on our bed, he got stuck by a sliver of hay that had somehow gotten embedded in the material back then that had never come out. The glory of that night I spent in the hayloft came flooding back, and to this day it's one of my fondest memories.

Ezequiel Mesquita said...

What a sweet picture! Lovely little girl. Her golden hair matches the hay.