Friday, December 30, 2005

christo



I think people out in the country appreciate art as much as the next guy, but it's not anytime soon that Christo and his wife will erect giant umbrellas in the soybean fields, or ring the cattle ponds with pink fabric.

We'll have to be satisfied with a home-grown form of artwork - a huge fallow cornfield dotted with McMansions-in-progress wrapped in blue plastic. There are a dozen or so just a half mile from here. The entryways framed in scaffolding and bright blue plastic protecting the tradesmen as they apply any number of decorative stonework touches.

It's a bit jarring to drive around the bend and see all this garish blue plastic in a landscape of white and brown. Maybe Christo would approve, perhaps not ... since it didn't begin as a "concept".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope the Florida Cracker visits this post!

Rurality said...

Now I'm going to picture all the neighbor's cows wrapped in pink fabric, with umbrellas dotting the pasture... you've really got to watch that Christo! :)

Actually I see they are also in the habit of building really fancy houses out in the country in your area too. Kind of a newish phenomenon here, but increasing every day.

R.Powers said...

Well, first of all Pablo, I stop here every day for my dose of midwest (of Florida origin) wisdom and beauty.
I'm thinking that Christo may have got his start as a construction worker or as a butcher since he seems preoccupied with wrapping things in plastic.

That's a house? It looks as big as our courthouse...

Suzanne said...

Ah yes, and Cracker, this is actually very small in comparison with some of the construction in the area.

And yes, my midwestern roots run deep - all the way to the Florida panhandle. Sigh. Missing the smell of sand and pine needles.

Walter Jeffries said...

Wow, so that is an official McMansion. I have heard the term before but not seen the site. Well, happy New Years! May all your dreams come true. -Walter, in Vermont

Anonymous said...

Yes, they are all the rage in my hometown of Big Rock. My cousin calls them Prairie Palaces.
Luckily, some of the town is still as it was when I grew up there.
Andy (in Florida too!)