Thursday, June 30, 2005

H2O

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Farmers watch the weather reports with the same interest that New York lawyers following the stock exchange. Precipitation becomes more than just a topic of conversation if your livelihood is dependent upon Mother Nature's whim.

Thankfully a thunderstorm rolled through last night in the wee hours, and drenched the fields for a short time, giving a brief respite to the drought. The thirsty soil soaked up the meager but welcome offering. This morning my large Elegans hosta was sprinkled with precious H2O.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you finally got some rain down your way. Nice dew snap, Zanne.

Anonymous said...

Great shot. I love the drops of water on it. I have taken a similar shot but being a cityfolf, on my window and not on a leaf. Here it is. drops

sugarcreekfarm said...

And the irony is that your rain will push the futures down. Such is the game of farming.

Karen Schmautz said...

I didn't know you were having a drought. In California it is always dry during the summer so the farmers have to rely on irrigation. They take the water from my neck of the woods (in the Northern Sierra mountains) and send it down to Central and Southern California via a huge aquaduct. Luckily we have lots of water from the snow this year.

Suzanne said...

Well I'm not quite sure what the tipping point is between dry and drought. I do know that this is the driest early spring and summer since 1939. That can't be good. And there is no irrigation here in the midwest. - Suzanne