Monday, May 22, 2006

somewhere in time

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Somewhere in time a farmhouse stood on this spot. The signs are all around, so easy to read if you know what you're looking for. The first glaring clue was a post with an old fire number sign, down by the roadway. Fire numbers are the rural equivalent of house numbers, red numbered markers to allow the volunteer fireman to identify the property.

From a distance you can identify sites by locating a a grove of trees with an open area in the middle. Trees were planted as windbreaks around the farmhouse. As I walk closer to the open area the old fence and gateposts come into view. My best guess is that this gate and the long overgrown pathway led to the side entrace of the house.

It gets your imagination going to wonder who lived here - somewhere in time.

3 comments:

srp said...

Grandma and Grandpa's house was set on top of a small rise, actually the only thing that comes close to a hill in southern Illinois. There was a partial windbreak of trees behind the house. A pine grove stood at the bottom of the hill giving protection to the sheep. The land is now owned and farmed by my cousin.

Anonymous said...

I love these kinds of settings. Even now here in rampant suburbia, there are a few of these that can be found not far away.

Your photo gives me goosebumps of imagination.

squire said...

I never lived on a farm but some of my best childhood days were spent on my uncles farm.